Thursday 21 February 2008

Lent 1 Parade Service

GARETH... This week Christians observe Shrove Tuesday and Ash Wednesday. Many of us know Shrove Tuesday better as Pancake Day. The Christian season of Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and lasts for six weeks. In some parts of the world, Shrove Tuesday is known as 'Mardi Gras' and it is a great carnival time with parades, fancy dress and huge floats that process through the towns and villages. Rio de Janeiro, in Brazil, has one of the most famous Mardi Gras parades.

JULIE... What does 'Shrove' mean? I always call it Pancake Day because we have pancakes at home then - though I like them, so why don't we have them the rest of the year? And what on earth is 'Mardi Gras'?

GARETH...I like pancakes too, but 'Shrove' comes from a word meaning 'to confess', so Shrove Tuesday means that on Shrove Tuesday you confess all your wrongdoing to God and, if you really mean it, your sins are forgiven. Then on Ash Wednesday you can go to church. In lots of churches they burn the palm crosses from the year before and when you go to church you get a smudge of ash on your forehead. It is like a badge of faith, showing that you are sharing Jesus's pain and temptations.
And 'Mardi Gras' means 'Fat Tuesday' in French, because it is the last day you can eat rich food before Lent, and all the fat in the house has to be got rid of in preparation. The day is just called different things in different parts of the world. Lent is a time when Christians traditionally give things up, read the Bible more, pray more regularly and look forward to Easter.

JULIE... It is not only about giving things up, it's also a time to prepare for Easter. When you do without things you like it can be hard. If you give up chocolates, you can be tempted to eat one - and sometimes give in. During Lent, Christians remember the time when Jesus went into the desert to think about what lay ahead for him. He ate very little and the Devil came to tempt him when he was weak.

GARETH... Jesus was then led away by the Spirit into the wilderness, to be tempted by the devil. For forty days and nights he fasted, and at the end of them he was famished. The devil approached him to tempt him and said, 'If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.' Jesus answered, 'Scripture says, "Man cannot live by bread alone; he lives on every word that God utters."' The devil then took him to the Holy City of Jerusalem and set him on the parapet, the highest point, of the Temple. 'If you are the Son of God,' he said, 'throw yourself down; for Scripture says, "He will put his angels in charge of you, and they will support you in their arms, for fear you should strike your foot against a stone."' Jesus answered him, 'Scripture says again, "You are not to put the Lord your God to the test."' Once again, the devil took him to a very high mountain, and showed him all the kingdoms of the world in their glory. 'All these,' he said, 'I will give you, if you will only fall down and do me homage.' But Jesus said, 'Begone, Satan! Scripture says, "You shall do homage to the Lord your God and worship him alone."' Then the devil left him; and the angels appeared and waited on him. (Matthew 4:1-11)
Jesus was in the desert for forty days. The number forty comes up a lot in the Bible. The Flood lasted forty days and forty nights; the Israelites followed Moses in the wilderness for forty years. The first King of Israel, Saul, was forty when he became king and David, the great King of Israel, ruled for forty years. There are lots more examples. Perhaps forty is a really important number for the Jewish people.

JULIE... Like Jesus in the desert, thinking about the future and showing his faith in God, many Christians do the same and prepare for Easter by thinking about how they can deepen their faith. A Confederate soldier wrote this prayer during the American Civil War. The Confederates were from the South, fighting against the North.

GARETH...

I asked for strength that I might achieve;
I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.

I asked for health that I might do great things;
I was given infirmity that I might do better things.

I asked for riches, that I might be happy;
I was given poverty that I might be wise.

I asked for power that I might have the praise of men;
I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.

I asked for all things that I might enjoy life;
I was given life that I might enjoy all things.

I got nothing that I asked for,
but everything that I had hoped for.

Almost despite myself my unspoken prayers were answered;
I am, among all men, most richly blessed.

You don't always get what you want or what you ask for but, for Christians, Lent is a time for faith and trust in God; a time when they look to share in Jesus's suffering and put temptation behind them.


JULIE... And if they have faith then, however hard life seems, there will be a silver lining. As I read this poem, let us reflect on the hard, difficult times we have had and how we have dealt with them. Then let us move on to think of a good time that still lifts our hearts when we think of it.

WHY CRY?

You know something wonderful
will always happen.
It always does.
Know what I mean?
Like how
you just opened the window
and the warm breeze
wrapped itself
around your neck.
It will always happen again.
It always does.