Sunday 9 May 2010

My Peace I Give To You

Jesus gives us something: his Peace, or his Shalom. This gift is more than anything we can want. And it seems that in this world, and in our culture, we want an awful lot. Since we already want all that the world can give, it is difficult for us to imagine more than that, which the world cannot give.

Yet, that is God’s gift to us in Jesus: God’s shalom, God’s peace, is greater than anything we can desire or imagine. God’s peace, means becoming a people who seek and serve Christ in all persons, loving our neighbours as ourselves.

When Jesus says, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you,” he is telling us to be people who bring God’s Peace to all people and to all the nations.

Jesus wants to give us all Peace. Jesus wants to give us all of this and more than we can either desire or imagine. Jesus doesn’t want us to worry, he doesn’t want us to get stressed about exams or about what other people think about us Listen as he calls to us, He says: My own Peace I give to you; I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid. Peace I leave with you. It is yours to have and to give to the rest of the world.

Amen.